Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day off? So Why Am I Painting??

We headed to breakfast as Joe Anna's crew discussed the plans for our day off. I did see Joe Anna and Jim at breakfast. We talked a while and then we headed out in different directions for our day off. I headed down to the wharf area of the downtown. Many of the painters in the paint out were set up painting out on the wharf. The were painting various boats on the water or the distant shoreline in the morning light. Honestly, none of these caught my eye or gave me much feeling.
After painting foreshortened boats and shacks with shadow and light, these compositional choices seemed dull. I took some photographs just in case something hits me later, but I doubt it. I left the wharf and headed down the main street.

I turned down a street--still not seeing Joe Anna or anyone from our crew--so I told myself if my guides wouldn't help me find her, then it wasn't to be and I could go out to the lighthouse and paint the cottage aerial view in morning light that was so captivating days before. Well--my spirit guides decided that wasn't to be, as the street I chose to turn around on was the street Joe Anna was set up to paint on!

After a brief discussion in which I was strongly reminded that I was invited to paint with her today and should have called her cellphone, I walked about looking for what was speaking to me.

The result was a sailboat parked at the wharf with sloping land in front and warm rocks and seaweed catching the light. I sketched my subject in my sketchbook, snapped a few photos and a good thing I did. No sooner did I get done sketching and the sailboat left!!! Sailboats were coming and going and so my sketch was priceless! The tide rose, the light changed, boats coming and going, the only constant in plein air painting is change!!

Then a gift from the painting gods--five young children and their day care provider decided to have lunch on the beach. Both Joe Anna and I took a break and snapped shots of them playing on the beach. The study I did will help with the colors of the photographs for other paintings of this scene and I can incorporate them in a sketch and work out details back in the studio!

The end painting certainly showed progress. I knew I was doing something right when Jim Asher drove by to check on Joe Anna and I and I heard from behind me a "WOW!".
Here's a photo of the finished painting:



The afternoon was spent sketching to practice my drawing. I tried sketching the main street of downtown and failed miserably! However, it was a great learning process and Jim Asher is a wonderful drawer (have to be for his watercolor paintings!) and he came by later to check on my progress. He gave me some great pointers that I'm using as I sketch something almost everyday.

The next day brings a day of consultations with the masters and critiques of our work. My thoughts on this tomorrow. Today--more painting and sketching....

Oh--and I guess I didn't answer the question. Why did I paint on my day off? Guess it's because I don't think of having days off from painting. Sure there are days I don't paint--but on those days I'm still looking at light and shadow and asking the questions--warmer? cooler? darkest dark? greatest contrast? How would I handle that in a painting? Is it a good composition? My mind always has a brush in my hand and I'm painting in my mind even if I'm not standing in front of an easel.
While I don't get many opportunities to go whale watching, I'm never going to pass up a chance to paint with someone of Joe Anna's and Jim's skill and talent. Besides--this isn't work....not really....this is a labor of love. I'd rather be doing this than most everything else.

Until tomorrow!
Linda

No comments: