Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Reflections of St. Andrews

As I sit in the Detroit airport on a lay over back to Cincy, I'm thinking about my week in St. Andrews.

First, I have to say the group of people that I shared this week with were just wonderful! We painted, struggled, preservered, laughed, learned, shivered, roasted in the sun, chatted and spent a long day with one another. Never was there a tense or bad moment. No one got in each other's way. Wonderful group is an understatement!

At the end of hte long day painting we weren't tired of one another. We cleaned up and went to dinner. We started the whole thing over the next day.

At the heart of our little group was our soul, our guides and two of the sweetest people! Joe Anna Arnett and James Asher were supportive, our cheerleaders, our mentors, our friends, "one of the guys" and so very patient with us. They joined us for dinner when they could and then again in the morning for breakfast. Their attention to us was never ending and their sense of humor divine.

Their talents are immeasurable and their desire for you to learn only limited by your own ability to want to learn. Saying it another way, their desire for you to learn was limitless. If you wanted to learn, they were there with the information, lessons, and guidance.

I learned so much this past week from my mentor, Kevin Macpherson and from Joe Anna and Jim. I feel I gained so muchas well. The learning isn't limited to painting but to the entire paint out experience. The energy you bring to the workshop is so important--as important as how much you want to learn. Those in the workshop, if clueless or not careful, can impact the energy of the whole group. Go with openness and enjoy the journey.

I met a group of strangers and left with eight new friends and memories of a warm and so enjoyable week of painting. I don't think I've ever felt as strong a desire to stay as I did with this group--Such a Comfort Zone!!

I look forward to conversing with my new friends. I look forward to seeing Kevin and Wanda, Joe Anna and Jim in the coming months and working with them. All those associated with En Plein Air Masters are truly classy people and talented, giving people.

I'm so thankful to Kevin, Wanda, Joe Anna, and Jim for all they are sharing with me--for all they have done and all we will do in the future.

No comments: