Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Working out a painting

The last few days have been spent in the studio and outside painting plein air.
Saturday morning was an overcast morning and after walking around the Glendale Art Show, I settled in to paint the gazebo in the Village Square. It was fun saying hello to everyone who stopped by and commented on the painting. Due to other commitments I couldn't stay as long as I wanted, but the painting is a great start and I have some good photo reference. I'll work this out over the coming weeks and you'll see the results here I'm sure.

I've also been working on my maritime series. I wanted to get started on these paintings while St. Andrews was still fresh in my memory. My studies and photographs are proving to be priceless. I thought inside of continuing two blogs, that I'd post my work in progress here on the site. It is amazing how much progress you can make by painting plein air. And..well--drawing. I've been doing more drawing and sketching and that seems to have strengthened a number of skills.

I've gone through over two hundred photos of the St. Andrews experience and whittled them down to ones I want to paint. I start with a sketch of the photograph, beginning to work out details and composition. From there I go to a 11X14 canvas board and work out more of the sketch. Here's the first layout I did with the along with the light and shadow areas blocked in...












There were a number of things that I didn't like about this painting and a number of drawing issues. This was a timed study and wasn't meant to be a painting ready for sale, but one to study and determine what I needed to change, what I liked about it, are the values good...just a timed study to question, practice painting quickly, and from to learn. I decided to return to my photo references and decide if there were some elements from other photos I wanted to pull in or was there a better representation of the man in the boat that would be better.

For example, the man is facing to the right. Your eye follows that direction and "off the page you go" since most of us read left to right. There is nothing really to circle your eye back around in the painting. The boat is somewhat centered right in the middle of the painting. I sat and studied the first attempt for a few hours making note of things I didn't like. Also, the size of the man to the boat is not proportioned right. Perspective is a bit off.

The result was this second study. Again, another timed study, only because I want to practice catching and working out details quickly. This again was a study to work out composition issues and focus on getting the drawing and perspective correct.
Here's the drawing that I did...




This drawing is much better and some composition issues were addressed. The man in the boat is more balanced, and the boat is not smack in the middle of the painting.
The background land is more proportioned and adds depth. The man is now turned back to the left, leading your eye not off the page, but back into the land mass and trees. The trees have sufficient interest as does the rocks. Here's the painting in middle.




Note that there is a considerable lack of interest in the center of the painting. While the values lead you to believe this is a sunny day and add some interest there is nothing really in the center to make you want to linger. Now take a look at the finished study.




The pine trees were added and have some curvature to them that pushes your attention to the right...so your eyes enter the painting at the left (because we read left to right here in the USA) move to the boat, man and then back to the rocks to the left part of the painting. The trees lead you to the right to the house roof, which leads your eye down to the land and the seaweed which leads you back to the right.
The result is a balanced painting. The composition is much improved from the first try and the perspective is also improved. With most of the issues worked out, this is ready to be transferred to a larger canvas. Before that occurs, I'll be pulling my studies from St. Andrews out and place it side by side with this study. I'll be asking myself are the values true to what I saw up in St. Andrews when I was plein air painting. I'll make notes right on the canvas board where it should be lightened or darkened. Then, I'll begin the painting that will become the second painting in my maritime themed paintings.

Check back and see the progress from study to completed painting for the "Seaweed Harvest" painting. I hope you found this interesting as you become part of the process of creating a painting. You know how to reach me if you have any questions.

Ciao,
Linda

No comments: